So for my second year of field placement and for the last nine months, I have been interning (non-paid, I might add) for 21 hours a week at a substance abuse agency in the Bronx, called Arms Acres. Many have probably heard my stories, I talk about it all the time, like when I used reflective listening during my parole group and said "you and your baby's mama" and a guy in the group calls me out on the carpet and says, "that doesn't sound right coming from you," let's just say I've come a long way to integrate into the environment. That is how when they first met me my co-workers nick named me 90210 or Beverly Hills, but now I am won their approval and they call me the "Boogie down Bronx girl," and let's just say it wasn't easy to win them over. However it's been so much fun building such a rapport and friendships with my co-workers, they felt kind of like a family at times. The highlight of the day was what we were going to order for lunch... mexican, chinese or sometimes italian, got to love NY for that :)
Friday was my last day, but good news they offered me a part-time position for the summer, so it' not a final good bye.
No comments:
Post a Comment