One of my life aspirations is to one day teach college. I love to teach and I love to teach about things I am passionate about, like working with people,psychology, human services, etc. I have had many experiences in my life to conduct workshops or trainings on tips on working with adolesences. I love to see the response when people catch on and how impactful it can be in their life. It is performing social work service on the macro level without so much of dealing with policy. I have always made it my goal to one day to teach on the college level of share my experience and knowledge in the field. So back in November, yeah November, don't worry about it, it's obvioiusly a long process almost like getting approved to work for the CIA or something like that. My co-worker set up a site visit at University of Phoenix Counseling Center. It's a center where they provide free therapy, so their Marriage and Family Therapy master students can use as an internship. So they great news it is free, the bad news is, it's very limited of who they can accept, since it's kind of the learning ground for interns. So no one who is on any kind of mental health medication, or diagnosis. So that pretty much rules out most the students who would be in need of a referral. But a great place for students or people going through a rough time of loss, depression, etc. So after the site tour, I kept thinking how I would love to teach here, and my other co-worker on the site asked what the creditantials were needed to work for UOP. She said a Master's degree from a credited insitution, work experience and she also informed us she actually has 5 openings in the human service field. The bad news was, they didn't have a social work program and social workers are not permitted to teach clinical classes, just the human service. Which she thought was a shame, because she said in her experience social workers are some of the best clinicans, amen lady :) So after getting the information, she gave us her card and told us to email us her resume. So I jumped on it, she then sent it to the recuiter in Phoenix, it took them awhile to get back to me, after reading my resume and seeing I approved the requirements, I had to do a written interview over line, this was around the middle of December, right before school break. I didn't find out I had passed until beginning of Janurary. Then I was asked for a phone interview. I had that, passed and then was asked to come to an assessment, like a personal interview, where I present a subject matter of my field to a group of assessor's, they will observe my teaching style to see if I pass the test. At this point, I also needed to have my transcript and references sent. So my assessment was scheduled for Saturday Feb. 5, 2011, I presented on "Ways of Building a Rapport," it was nerve racking, but kind of fun and laid back with a lot of support from the assesors. I then found out a week later, Feb. 11, 2011, I passed once more, they seriously put you through the ringer. But it doesn't stop there.After passing the assessment, I have to attend four workshops on four Saturdays in March, it's called the training and certification, and then they will pay us after that, smart people.
So I AM PHOENIX!
t

No comments:
Post a Comment