The Lichfield Survivers, just missing Narvin.
We had a memorial service on Thursday Feburary 24th. They held the service at my dad's place. We were a little weary of how nice it might turn out, but it turned out quite nice. A lot of people in the community came, him and my grandma had only been living in LaVerkin for almost a year. He was to be buried the following afternoon in Cache Valley with a military salute funeral. We did not make it up to the burial.
Our family, Reagan was there, just not for the picture, just missing Robbie :(
This was a tough time for me to see how tough the loss was on my dad. He very rarely let's down his guard to show emotion or expression. He was quite emotional and I could tell just enjoyed my presence of support.
The glue of any family, the WOMEN
Nathan was at work, and Loni had actually planned to come into town just two days before for my dad's birthday, so it worked out nicely that she was able to attend as well.
Like Father like Son, both gave wonderful thoughts on my grandpa's memorial service.
I tried to just be there for my dad and help in anyway I knew how. I think it was especially hard to have such a loss being alone. I think it is times like these he really misses the company and comfort of my mom. She was a gem, and came and showed her support to the family and even sent flowers to the cause. I am so grateful and glad I come from a family that despite our circumstances or even differences we stand and support each other during the tough times. Just so ironic that I have lost both grandpa's within six months of each other. I am so glad my parents get along well enough to support each other during these tough times.
The extra family support. Tala and Malia drove up from Vegas to show their support :)
My dad and his dear friend Alan Cottle
The most touching moment of the day was I was driving with my dad from his house to the gym, when a random car come from a different direction. We were kind of lost of who it would be, too early for guests, my dad almost annoyed wanted to go on, then I recognized that it was his old mission company and life long friend, Alan Cottle. He drove all the way from Draper, UT, to be a support for my dad. So I said out loud that it was Alan Cottle, my dad stopped the car, quickly got out and a tear was running down his face and he hugged his friend. It was so touching, just the tender mercy my dad needed. To remember he wasn't alone, that he has so many people who love and care about him and support him. It was really touching and memorable.
My sweet cousin Katilyn. We were asked to sing an old country song, "Silvered Hair Daddy of Mine"
Then their was the funeral, too long to talk about, there were a lot of speakers and all talking for an extended time, but it made it that much more noteworthy for my grandpa.
Lichfield grandchildren with grandma
We then had the traditional Ham and potatoes, so ironic, because my grandpa was religious and personally against eating pork, but that was what was on the menu, not intentionally, just the graciousness of the Toquerville 3rd Ward Relief Society.
No comments:
Post a Comment