Thursday, September 24, 2009

I <3 NY






Last year while living in NY the opportunity came to purchase US Open Women's Final tickets last minute. Being the opportunist that I am, I bought the tickets and was stoked to go. However that weekend, it poured cats and dogs, so it got postpone, and then I was unable to go the follow day... boo hoo! So ever since I promised myself I would go again, most likely the following year, because I thought there was a pretty good chance I would still be in the city.
However, I am no longer living there, but my friend, Sara, was able to get tickets for the men's semi-finals and my other good friend, Thomas, who used to live in NY, who now lives in San Fransisco, bought tickets and encouraged me to come. Well you know me, I hate to miss out on the party, so I was able to find cheap air fare, and bought the tickets. I was so excited to come out for the game, and to return to the city, and reunite with old friends. I didn't realized how much I missed it when I arrived, yet I also was able to see the little things that got old, small apartment, subways, constant chiaos, that I didn't miss. It actually made me feel better about my decision to move and it made me realize, I can still come back and visit, to get my fill of the city.
So of course I arrive late Friday night on Sept. 11 (yeah don't worry about it, watch a special memorial about 9/11, and I was all of the sudden freaked to return to the city, kind of funny), and sure enough it had been raining all day and was forecast to rain on Saturday, when the game was. So I had made no plans for Saturday and all of the sudden my day was free, but it was fun and fun to see where the wind takes you ( I swear that is my motto in life). I was able to meet up with my friend Mark for brunch in midtown, our mutual friend Megan from Cali was in town, so we talked about going to a broadway show, we decided on Rock of Ages, because I LOVE  80's hair bands, we went to TKTS 30 mins for the show and I got 4th row seats, because I sat by myself. I laughed soooo hard, so nostalgic, however it was quite crude (so mom I don't recommend you go and see it). At the end they have a live band and they throw the guitar pick, and I was sending out the secret that I would catch one, and one bounced of my chest... it was MTB, meant to be. We then got pictures with the cast afterwards, yes even Constatine :)
Then my brother Roger and cousin Jake happened to be in town, so I met up with them in Times square we then mozy on over to Union Square, where I met with my friend from NYU, Tierney at my favorite place ever, Grey Dog's for food ( I was wishing my band mates were there, they know who they are). Then I met up with Roger and Jake again, we headed to their one star hotel room in the Meat Packing district, which was worst than a cruise ship's cabin. I then was suppose to meet up with my friend Logan, but my phone died, so stopped by the Single Stake dance and said hello to my old friends from my ward, and then met up with Logan for some yummy Ben and Jerry's ice cream afterwards. So it ended up being a fun filled day without any original plans... that is the magic of NY :)
Next day, went to the family ward, check, then headed to the US open, it was soooo much fun.... I really got into it, and loved that Del porto, beat Naval. I had to leave a little early to catch my flight. It was a short trip, but definitely worth it.

No comments: