We had been literally counting down the days. Knowing I would be in my 3rd tri-mester by time summer came around, and from all I have heard and read, they said to go on a little get away the second tri-mester, when I am feeling my best. Since I have only time off that is assigned to our school calendar, we wanted to do something fun for Spring Break. We also decided we wanted to do something with Loni and Todd, we had looked into Ireland on travelzoo, but my dad offered to bring us to Costa Rica. So we the opportunist we are, took him up on the offer, even though he ended up not taking us and my mom stepped in with Del and Goff too. It was bound to be a good time. The best part was, we didn't know how much time Nathan would be able to get off at work, being a new employee. His boss was great and let him take off the whole week! YEAH! So we decided to take a red eye to New York City on Saturday April 16th ( we would've left earlier, but my good friend from work, Lourdes was having her bachleroette party, and since I was going to make it to her wedding Hawaii, and since I really like her and care about her, wanted to come and show my support). So once again, I keep thinking with my pre-pregnancy mind, and forgetting my pregnancy body does have limitations.
April 17, 2011
So we arrived early, like 6 AM in Newark, slept maybe two hours. Took the train to Penn Station, then the subway to Wall street. We were going to stay with my sweet friend Emily and her darling husband Dox, never actually had met him yet. They were so cool to let us stay with them, and we had so much fun with them. Nathan and Dox talked about running, biking and training, and Emily and I talked about everything under the sun, such a great couple and fun to see what New York life would be like as a married couple. It seems way fun and cool, she's going to grad school at NYU, and he's working the financial district. They live in 71 Broadway, right by Trinity church, my old neighborhood and a group of girls in our ward had a place there, many fun parties. We talked, then they left for church, and we took a little nap, forcing ourselves to wake up to make it to the 11:30 Union Square Ward. Of course we left late and got there late. We just sat in the back, the ward was way small and so different, a few familiar faces but a lot of new people and not so many of the old ones, it made me a bit sad, yet happy I lived there when I did, we had so much fun. We stayed in the back, but it was cool to run into old friends and shocked to see us there. We then headed to get a little snack at the Mcdonalds I had frequently attended, then headed back to down town. We walked around battery park, and the bull, so many people we didn't get a picture though. We then returned and chatted with Emily and Dox for a bit, then we were running late, so we headed to Brenda's for dinner.
We were greeted by Courtnie, my old roommate and Colin, who was one of the regular's for Brenda's dinner and used to be a 45 waller. We then met her two roommates and a guy friend. We had fun catching up, talking, sharing news, reminisicing and such. It was so good to re-acquaint with old friends and yet fun to see how different things had changed from almost two years ago when I lived there. There were like six apartments from the ward at 45 Wall, and now it is only 1714, Brenda's apartment. Brenda looked really well with a cute and sassy haircut and lost some weight due to some serious bike riding, so it was fun to see the changes. Courtnie lived uptown and appeared to be in a whole new social group, as well as Colin.
After chatting for a bit, and Nathan caught a little cat nap, we then headed uptown with Courtnie to 86th street and Columbus. We were meeting up with Sarah McGrill and Tierney Rogers from my class at NYU. It was so fun to see them and we hitted it off like an old glove. Sarah has a little girl she had about 9 months ago, and Tierney had a new great job and started seeing someone. I announced I was pregnant and they were excited. We ate at this cool kind of like surf diner. Sarah reccommended it and she always has great taste in restaurants. Tired and exhausted with little sleep, we then headed back on the long trek to Wall Street. We arrived to Emily and Dox's at around 10 PM. They were still up and since it was a studio, it was close quarters, but it made it all the more fun. We pillow talked until we fell asleep, they really were the most welcoming and warm host that I ever had.
April 18, 2011
We slept in, and Emily was getting ready for a study group. So we talked to her for a bit.
We then headed to South Seaport to try to get TKTS tickets for tonight. We were able to get tickets for Billy Elliot, a show I have been wanting to see and heard good things about. It was really good, except for when the young ones were swearing in their punch lines, that was a bit disturbing. We then walked around, and I told Nathan, how we loved to take walks here especially on Sundays and run through the pier.
We then took the JMZ train to Lower east side, to go to Clinton Street Bakery, I wanted to stop by Sunshine Bakery, but it wasn't there, I think it might have gone out of business :( We then made our way to Clinton Street, an hour and half wait, of course. I was so hungry so we went to a nearby italian place called Frankie's that Sarah reccommended, had the yummiest egg and cheese biscuit, almost as an appetizer, then headed over to Clinton Street for our real meal. Of course I got the blueberry pancakes, and Nathan got a yummy soup.
We then headed west on Houston street, passed by famous Katz Deli. We were going to get on the train when I remembered that yummy cookie bar, called MILK. So we headed up from Houston street on 1st Ave for 13 blocks, we passed by the Mulan Indian resterant with all of the tacky lights and decore, I loved this avenue, and the East village. We then saw some guy chew out and threaten a guy sitting on the bench for trying to still a vitamin water like drink, only in New York. We then finally made it to MILK, where we got the yummy composte cookie, plus some others to share with Emily and Dox.
We then headed to Union Square, my legs and feet were so sore and swollen and I was so tired. We saw the movie theater I went to often at Union Square, we saw a showing for Atlas Shrug at 5PM, and decided it might be smart to sit and relax for a bit. We did and I enjoyed the show. We then went to Gray Dog's on my request and ate yummy sandwhiches, then headed up to Times Square to see Billy Elliot.
We then got out late, stopped by Roxi to get the famous black and white cookies, my favorite :) Then again made it for another late night. But had fun sharing our sweets with Dox and Emily, and chatted while falling asleep. I felt bad because time was limited and wanted to show Nathan so many more things, like China town, and the Met, and other museums.
We then talked about our favorite food, and Nathan said pizza, and Dox asked if he had NY pizza yet. He hadn't, what a jerk I am, going to all of my favorite places and not at least introducing him to NY' finest, no not the policemen, the pizza. Dox went off about Lombardi's as being his favorite and how it made him crave going to get pizza this week. So it was settled, we decided to hit Little Italy in the morrow.
April 19,2011
We slept in again. And didn't even know that Emily was still there, she was so quiet in the bathroom watching TV on her mac while during her hair, I like this girl, multi tasking at it's finest. So then her and I had a really good chat. She left and we started packing up to get ready. We left late, like 11:30, got to Lombardi's got seated pretty quickly, had a yummy salad and pizza to share.
We then made a pit stop at Rice to Riches for their yummy rice pudding, then headed back, due to the late departure, had to get a car to take us to the airport, instead of the train, oh well, only a lot of dough... but it's all good.
We then arrived and checked in to find Loni and Todd and their four boys sprang out chillin at the gate, this might be a long flight. We were unable to seat by them on the flight, unfortunately. But we were able to trade off seats and enjoy each other a bit. Her boys were all really good. We arrived late to San Jose, CR, like 10PM. When we went through immigration and customs, we realized we had no address or contact info in case my mom was not there. That was very trusting on our part, good news is she was there with Del and Goff, we had some nice guys that my dad had coordinated to pick us up. We then got in the van and drove for another hour to arrive to the nice resort of Navitiva, near Jaco, where we were going to be staying. With a sand pool and such. It was so beautiful.
April 20, 2011
Nathan was so excited, he woke up early and took the video camera to take a tour of the place. One thing that is fun is Nathan hasn't traveled a lot, so he gets way excited when we leave the country or go somewhere new. We had fun going grocery shopping, eating, swimming at the pool with the boys, lounging. You know, do things you do when your vacationing.
April 21, 2011
We drove to Miguel Antonio, supposibly is like the Mafia Coast of Costa Rica, it is up on this hill, all these cool restaurants and hotels, and the beach. The beach was way crowded and my mom almost missed the very sharp right turn to go down the hill to park on the beach and she stopped traffic with a tour bus behind us, it really could've been bad. Nathan, Todd and the boys LOVED swimming in the beach. It gave me a panic attack to think that so many little young boys swimming freely in the ocean, I had a hard time relaxing.
April 22, 2011
We went swimming at the sand pool. We then headed to see the crocidiles near the bridge. So we walked all four boys on the busy road, with the crocks in the river, this too gave me a panic. If it wasn't the highway, the thought of one of them falling in the water with the 15 crocks. I obviously am more anxiety provoked than Loni, and maybe will be a mess with my own child, I hope with motherhood, I become cool like Loni. Then we returned back and my mom offered to watch the kids while Loni, Todd, Nathan and I went out to Jaco on a little date. We went to a really good Taco Bar, with yummy calimari taco's and swing seats. We then looked at the shops, there were some red leather sandals I wanted to buy, but decided to wait a day on it. We ended the night with getting some yummy ice cream at pops. This was a good trip, I could tell Nathan and Todd were starting to bond more.
April 23, 2011
My mom told us about this swinging bridge her friends said was their favorite part of Costa Rica, it was near Miguel Antonio, so like another hour away. So we decided to go for it, driving everywhere for it, finally find it, at least we think we did. Had to pay money to park our van at some lady's house. Hiked in for a bit and it was a puny little waterfall. I won't lie it was a bit of a let down. I mean Toquerville Falls was better than this. But it was still fun, the boys, Loni and I played in the lower pools. While Nathan and Todd went up high where you could jump into the pools. Nathan of course was up for this adventure and challenge, with doing flips and such. We then headed back and stopped at some resteruant by the beach to eat. Loni and her family stayed to enjoy the beach. While the rest of us went into Jaco to do some shopping. I ended up getting the red shoes afterall :) We then got Loni, and her family, tired from the long day, we headed back to call it a night. Nathan and I had to wake up way early to leave for the airport with my mom, so our fun trip was sadly coming to an end :(
1 comment:
Glad you posted this. Now it's my turn to do some copy and paste
Post a Comment