We all have heard it and even if we are trying to be cool and won't admit it, but we all secretly love some good Barry Manilow tunes, especially how could you deny "Mandy" On a trip to Costa Rica with my buddies back in the spring of 2009, we were on a long 5 hour driving trip in a big white van. So we did none else than play "Would you rather" my very creative and humorous friend threw in, "Would you rather only have Barry Manilow's "Mandy" the only music you could ever hear, or you could only eat rice and beans for every meal. It was quite humorous, aligning "Mandy" to the repitiveness of rice and beans to every meal in Costa Rica. I don't remember what I picked and still don't to give up variety in food and music would be tough. Both two of my two loves. However, back to Manilow. Nathan and I are avid listener's to NPR on our commute to work. We have both learned a lot about current events and I love the little details of interesting information everyday. Well they keep trying to get us locals to donate money to their cause. And one way was by buying a Barry Manilow ticket at the Paris Hotel for half off, $50 (pricey, I know) and all the proceeds go to NPR. So we thought it was a good deal, and since he has been mainly on my list of one of the current Vegas shows to see, being the advantageous person I am, we pursued it. So on Saturday March 26, we went to his first showing at 7:30 PM. It was a little bit nostalagic. No I don't remember when he was big, I was way too young or not even born yet. But my mom and dad used to always listen to his music, so it made me think of my younger growing up years. He really is a great performer, with such a beautiful and strong voice. He sang so effortlessly. He seemed very down to earth and sincerely a nice person. He shared his passion for music and shared the story of how his grandfather when he was a little boy encouraged him to sing. He grew up in a very poor part of Brooklyn, NY. He was very personable and a good enterainer. Not to mention some great hits like "Cocacapana" "Mandy" "Can't Smile Without You", and of course "I write the songs"
They even gave us glow sticks to sway at the end... oh so tender. So I guess Nathan and I have unoffically crossed over to become "Fanilows" (Fans of Barry Manilow, so creative).

2 comments:
Hey! (If you remember me. We went to chilis in Orem before you and Nathan got married)I am so glad you guys have a blog! Congrats on being pregnant! I am totally going to "blog stalk" you now ;-) Hope you guys are doing so great!!
I'm SO Jealous!!!!
Post a Comment