Thursday, March 17, 2011

It's a...

March 17th has always been a very celebratory day in my family. Mostly because it is my mom's birthday, being the birthday person she is, she always would buy St. Patricks little party favors such as shamrock shaped sunglasses. There is also some other great events that happened to happen on this very green day. My brother Robbie and his first wife Stephanie were married back in 2011, so ten years ago. On that same day my sister in law, Tavia, Roger's wife found out she was pregnant with their first after a couple of months trying. So it was very serendiptous for this to be the day to found out the sex of our baby.


From the beginning for no real ryhme or reason from the getgo, my heart wanted to have a girl. Not that I favor a girl over a boy, but I just felt it was a more natural fit for me, espeically being my first. I am a very femine girl myself, always very sensitive adn with this sensitivity and always wanting and willing to connect. I have always gotten along really well with girls without having to be catty or hypersenstive. My sister who has four darling little boys, always claims I will have all girls. Because growing up, she always natrually clicked with our male cousins our age and even guy friends, while I naturally clicked with the girls. I can keep up with the girl talk of mani's and pedis' and fashion's latest trends. I always liked talking to my friends about boys they liked and other fun girl topics. But one thing I really treasure in girlfriends is the ability to connect on a deeper level and talk  about things closer to the heart, like the challeneges we may be facing, feelings on our family and friends, beliefs, values and just the ins and outs of life in general.  So I had this desire from the beginning and felt that it was a girl. Then I read on the pregnancy website that those carrying a girl tend to be a little bit more nauseated than those carrying a boy. So I claimed I must be due to how sick I felt. I then read on this website that according to the Chinese Calendar of when my baby was conceived it was to be a girl, but it stated that it is 50% accurate. I thought that was quite humorous. I also was so drawn to girl things or clothes when I would go shopping. I was afraid I was setting myself up for disappointment. I even bought a few things. Then one day when one of my co-workers who is 4 weeks ahead of me found out she was having a boy. She had it in her mind she was having a girl and was so surprised, she wasn't disappointed just had to have a paradigm shift. I got concerned because I had it in my mind it was a girl, and was afraid that same thing would happen to me. So I decided to swear off assuming or getting too stuck on it being a girl.

With all of this anticipation, I couldn't wait to find out. So being the eager beaver that I am. I found out from my doctor that she doesn't do anatomy ultrasounds. So she refers her clients out to a specialist, Desert Prenatal. However she doesn't refer out until 20 weeks. After all of my reading and research. You can found out the sex between week 16-20. So OF COURSE, my doctor wants to take all precautions and wait for the last week. Doesn't she realize the anxiety this causes a first mother dying to know what she is having ( I know I might be a little dramatic, trying to add some climax to my story). So a co-worker told me of a place that does the sex ultrasound as early as 15 weeks. They give you pictures and have do it in 3-D and even offer a School District discount for employees. It was called Baby's First Image. Also part of wanting to find out earlier, was there was a huge semi-annual consignment sale within the Summerlin Community, a great time to big item baby stuff for cheap. I would prefer to know what sex I was buying things for to better suit the little one. So with all of these justifications, we paid the $50 bones to get our first sex ultrasound. We were allowed to invite family and friends as well. So my mom was out of town, and my dad busy, his sister Jessica opt to come along. She loves babies. So I got in my seat, the lady put the cold gel on me and she found the little one. It was so cute and precious. Nothing like actually seeing evidence that there is something actually growing inside of me, and to hear the heartbeat is sureal. She then asked what we thought it was. I said a girl, and Nathan concurred (though he wanted a boy), he thought it was a girl. And so she knew right off the bat what it was, but showed us how she could tell and she then told us it was..... A GIRL! My heart of hearts wasn't confused or deceived me. I knew my intuition that it was a girl. I was so excited. I even teared up a bit. I knew it was a girl, and knew she was special, and knew that we were prepared to love and cherish and take care of this special little spirit. It truly was a divine experience. Unlike any other. Every time we get an ultrasound, Nathan always tries to listen to my stomach, hoping to hear that magical heartbeat again. The miracle of life truly is spectatular. We feel very blessed and so excited for our little girl. Now if we only had a name....

2 comments:

Grandma Watson said...

Yeah! I love little girls. They are so much fun to shop for and with. However, it has been my experience that girls have more trauma and drama than boys! Hey you can handle it! What is the due date? I am so excited for you both! Carol Watson

Kylene said...

Yay!!! That's so exciting, Lyndee! It's so fun to see you and the hubster go thru this first-time experience! It's so special. We're having a girl, too! I was leaning towards boy before but have really warmed up to having another girl since. My daughter is so sweet and sensitive...MOST of the time. ;)